Monday, June 19, 2023

Better as a Memory? Chapter 1

 Better as a Memory?


It’s in a line from a song on the Kenny Chesney album, The Poets & Pirates album. Little did Beth know that it would become her reality. 


Back when she was young & dumb, she fell in love. The hard & fast kind. Something just overtook her, the summer she turned 19. 


This person is better as a memory. They didn’t work. They just don’t, but years after their divorce, he came to her, by text message, begging for another chance. Usually, she ignored these texts, but one night she texted him back.  

She gave him an ultimatum. Did he go for it? 


This is that story. 


Chapter 1

 

Memories, oh how they can haunt you but then they can make you smile. Beth does not regret the memories she has because they have made her who she is. She is a single mom, of a college aged kid, who has survived divorce. She started to put herself out in this dating world. First, by doing things that she has interest in. She took a solo road trip in an RV, that 8 month adventure is another story for another day. She got scuba diving certified, went diving in Ohio’s Lake Erie and thought about skydiving, but then the thought of jumping out of a perfectly good airplane, well that is an adventure she just hasn’t brought to fruition. Now she is trying online dating and oh what an adventure that is. So far, they all tell her what she wants to hear, but their actions don’t match. 


She has gone to several therapists and did a local Divorce Survivor class. She has learned to be business-like. She has chosen to be a person of chastity. What does that mean? Well it looks like this, she is looking for friendship first and dates that include going for a meal, walks, swimming or a similar activity. Her dating profile states; 

 

“I’m a single mom, Educator, Teacher and inspiring changemaker. In 2021, I wintered in Florida; Ohio is my home. Warm weather adventures needed! Applying & thinking about a Doctorate.

I’m confident that with the right person, a long distance, committed relationship can work. I don’t want to pay your way, I’m self employed and pay my own. 

I told God, you’ll have to send a BIG sign, I do not trust easily and I’m probably jaded. I’m for building friendship first. 

My future husband is a Father and/or Uncle, responsible, kind, helpful & understands who I am; plans Weekend fun! I Want to be fun Grandparents some day. 

Prenup is a must! 

Biden Harris 2020 

I don’t always vote under 1 political party. 

I have alopecia so I wear a hat or hair clip in, like Dolly Parton! 

I’m a Writer of stories & songs, lyricist in addition to my blog. 

I’m allergic to Dogs, like them but can’t share a bedroom etc.”


This is what she decided to say. What would you say? Anyways, business like she keeps telling herself and remember you going to meet a lot of people, so be prepared to be nice but stick to the business, friendship plan. This is the only way she can even allow herself to go through this process. 


She messaged those who sned her a like or Hi, she texts, “Any questions? Did you read my profile ?’ Most of the men don’t, she assumes they message her after liking the pictures. This is flattering at first, but it’s not real. She says thanks and ask them to read & review because, remember, she is being business like with friendship first. Some delete her & some ask to meet up. 


Also, she is business like with her ex husband, father of her child. He messages and usually ends up asking her out. Asking for another chance, why or why is he? To her, he’s better as a memory. The past is the past. She was frustrated one weekend after a failed date. Her ex-husband sends her a text. 

 

“Just want to spend time with you and be with you and love each other is that too much to ask to want to be with you no matter what, I have changed.” 


Seriously, she thought. His actions don’t match his words. We don’t even like doing the same things. We share a child together, that’s the only reason I take his texts and don’t block him. He never learned to be business like. Ugh 


As she was drinking a rum & diet, she text him back. 


“Well I joined Match dating site again … they have a singles trip… I’m going … if you have changed & think you are for me then you’d be able to go too… that’s what I’m

looking for… someone who can & would go on trips like this…”


He text back “really, send me info”


She sends a number to the travel agent, “you call & set it up. I’m not helping you.”


“I’m really gonna try to make it” he texted 

 Then he text, so if I can’t go you won’t give me another chance?”


She waits, takes a drink, starting to feel a little tipsy she texts… 


“Yes, that’s right this is an ultimatum… and I’m playing the field, weighing my options & being business like … friendship first… if you want to prove to me you’ve changed & have same interests, then you will go on the trip.”


She laughed out loud to herself and decided to go to bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment