Sunday, June 25, 2023

Better as a Memory? Chapter 2

Chapter 2 

Saturday morning.

She wakes & looks at her phone…

has a text message from the guy she was dating,  one from her ex-husband & her best friend. 


The guy she was dating, well went on three dates with. She’ll just call him another liar. She caught him smoking a cigarette while she was in pool. He said that he liked hanging out at the pool, but there he was in jeans and a T-shirt sitting at a table. Then in his hand a cigarette, that he was trying to hide. Yeah she noticed, but didn’t bring it up cause her friends were there. She just kept quiet, kept her distance so after the date,  that night he messaged, did I do something wrong? She texted, Yep actions speak louder than words and I saw you smoking. He texted, So we’re done talking ? Yep we’re done talking, she texted back. 

 He texted something about another chance & that he hadn’t smoked in 20 years. She texted, stop texting or I’ll block you, we are not going to work out. 


Then she reads what her ex husband texted.  “I’m not in a financial position to go on trip, it’s not fair that you won’t give me a chance. Do you even know where I live or work?.” She text back, “ none of that matters don’t you see that we don’t have the same interest? Nothing more to say.” 


She texted her best friend back, “Good morning. I ended it with the smoking liar by text & then I stupidly texted the ex husband.” She texted , “Oh no and why text the ex husband?” She text, “Well he sent me a message again about giving him another chance and I just gave him an ultimatum, that if he goes on the singles cruise than I would.” 


She text, “oh no, why you do that? You know you got to stop hoping he’s changed? Isn’t he engaged to someone else.” She text, “ I just want him to see that we don’t like to do the same things. He texted a few weeks ago that he is engaged but that she is still married, that he really wants me back. Which is exactly the opposite of a changed person. I can’t even believe that he has the nerve to ask me out! I’m so frustrated with relationships & dating that I stupidly texted him back!” 


She text Beth, “Do you actually want him to show up on the cruise?” 

She returns with this text, “I don’t know anymore, is my life a movie? In the movies the ex shows up & everyone lives happily ever after. I just want a vacation. I’m trying to put myself out there. I doubt I’ll fall in love on a cruise but perhaps make friendships. I’m looking for establishing friendship first. I’m a mess, I’m guarded and not looking for hookups.” 


She text Beth back, “I know you are frustrated and are going through this as best you can in being business-like. I’m sorry about the smoking liar. You got to ignore your ex husband, he’s not truthful and not sure what he’ll do knowing about your trip.” She texts, “I know better than to play into his messages, but then I did, ugh well I’m not gonna stress over it. I’ll just ignore him. Thanks for listening to me & being my best friend.” She text Beth back, “I’m sorry you gotta go through this but I’m here for you, want the best for you and love you.” 


Beth knows she is so blessed to have best friends like this. She delete her ex husband’s new text messages about how he’s changed & deserves a second chance. She deletes the message from the lying smoker too.


 She opens the match app to see if she has any new messages. She has a few so she responds, “Thanks for the likes. however, be sure to read my profile and then let me know if you are still interested in texting to get to know more about each other I’m not looking for a hook up but friendship first.” 


The singles cruise is in 50 days. 


No comments:

Post a Comment