Sunday, April 7, 2024

Aunt Peggy

 We will be placing you to rest at the cemetery, by your parents, in late April of 2024.  


I will never forget the way that you were there for me, like when you found an officiant for my wedding. When we traveled to Germany together. You were there for me when I thought my marriage was ending the first time. I’ll never forget the weekends that I came over, we would watch TV,  you would let me cry and just helped me get through it. You didn’t judge me when I decided to stay with my husband. A year later you were there when my son was born.


Then 8 years later you stood by me in court for my marriage disillusionment hearing. You drove me & picked up my husband, soon to be ex. Let me say that again, I paid for the dissolution & he had to add his spin on it. He had to be difficult. He said, “I had to drive him there if I wanted this.” 


I had given him years & had grown weary of his non supportive ways. I went to a marriage counselor, who helped me see that I was not in a healthy place. You listened to me as I processed that my marriage was toxic and you loved me through it. 


You stood by my side, we picked him up & drove to court. He walked in with us & agreed. I was so relieved. Hurt, but it could have gone worse. You hugged me & loved me through it. 


We had so many road trips to Florida & Illinois to visit your son, my cousin. We would take his kids & my son to the park, beach, Chuck E Cheese and many other kid places. We made great family memories. 


You were a recovering alcoholic. 

I have no memories of your alcohol episodes.

You never thought you were perfect. 

You always said 1 day at a time. 

You would quote the Serenity Prayer…


“God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time,
enjoying one moment at a time;
accepting hardship as a pathway to peace;
taking, as Jesus did,
this sinful world as it is,
not as I would have it;
trusting that You will make all things right
if I surrender to Your will;
so that I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with You forever in the next.

Amen.”

                                            written by Reinhold Niebuhr

May you rest in peace Aunt Peggy. 


Love always, 


Your Beckers 


No comments:

Post a Comment